MICROSOFT DX SOFTWARE STARTUP ACADEMY EVENT CONTEST
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to comply with your employer’s gift policies. If your participation violates your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability and will not be party to any disputes or actions related to this matter.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible. ß To comply with the U.S. Public Sector Gift Giving Policy, Government employees are always excluded from Microsoft Contests and Sweepstakes unless certain requirements are met. If you have a strong business case for why Public Sector/Government employees should be included in your event, please email your promotions contact for further guidance. PLEASE REMOVE THIS RED TEXT AFTER YOU HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED AND BEFORE POSTING YOUR RULES.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts on October 15, 2015, and ends on April 28, 2016 (“Entry Period”) and will be conducted during regular event hours. Winners will be selected at the close of the event.
Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible.
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are a registered attendee of Software StartUp Academy, and you are 18 years of age or older; and
o If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
- PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT event exhibitor support personnel; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation, or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, any person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER?
You can enter by visiting the event and following the instructions to build an application.ß Please amend and expand this text to be as detailed as possible. For example, what type of app should be created for what platform? Can entrants form teams? Do entrants need to publish the app also? Does the app need to address a certain topic or include certain features?
We will only accept one (1) entry(ies) per entrant. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- Individual online applicationTeam application with a theme Submitting final documantationß This is where you should be descriptive about what qualifies as a “valid” entry. Examples may include acceptable file formats, length requirements, product usage, adherence to a specific theme, or a full list of the exact materials that should be submitted.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials. You may include Microsoft trademarks, logos, and designs, for which Microsoft grants you a limited license to use for the sole purposes of submitting an entry into this Contest.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
WINNER SELECTION AND PRIZES
At the close of the event, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries and select winners of the prizes designated below based upon the judging criteria below.
- 30.00% – Go-to-market
- 20.00% – Idea
- 10.00% – Innovation
- 20.00% – Business plan
- 20.00% – Team
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
One (1) First Prize(s). A(n) Money. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $5,700.00.
The ARV of electronic prizes is subject to price fluctuations in the consumer marketplace based on, among other things, any gap in time between the date the ARV is estimated for purposes of these Official Rules and the date the prize is awarded or redeemed. We will determine the value of the prize to be the fair market value at the time of prize award.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $5,700
We will only award one (1) prize(s) per person during the Entry Period.
Winners will be selected instantly and must be present at time of winner announcement to win.
Taxes on the prize, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. No substitution, transfer, or assignment of prize permitted, except that Microsoft reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event the offered prize is unavailable. Prize winners may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS 1099 the following January, for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If a selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize or fails to return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release or W-8 BEN form, the selected winner will forfeit their prize and an alternate winner will be selected. Your odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries we receive. In the event of a dispute all decisions of Microsoft are final.
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won; and
- That by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt or we have strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
WINNERS LIST AND SPONSOR
We will post the names of winners who received a prize worth $25.00 or more online at www.windays.hr. This list will remain posted one month after winner selection.
This Contest is sponsored by Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052.
At Microsoft, we are committed to protecting your privacy. Microsoft uses the information you provide to notify prize winners, and to send you information about other Microsoft products and services, if requested by you. Microsoft will not share the information you provide with third parties without your permission except where necessary to complete the services or transactions you have requested, or as required by law. Microsoft is committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Your personal information is never shared outside the company without your permission, except under conditions explained above.
If you believe that Microsoft has not adhered to this statement, please notify us by sending email to email@example.com@microsoft.com or postal mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, Microsoft Privacy, Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 USA, and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to remedy the situation.